понедельник, 10 декабря 2012 г.

                                       Toni Morrison

                                           Beloved               


Beloved is a novel by the American writer Toni Morrison, published in 1987. Set during 1873 after the American Civil War  (1861–1865), it is inspired by the story of an African-American slave , Margaret Garner, who temporarily escaped slavery during 1856 in Kentucky by fleeing to Ohio, a free state. A posse arrived to retrieve her and her children under the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, which gave slave owners the right to pursue slaves across state borders. Margaret killed her two-year-old daughter rather than allow her to be recaptured.
 I recommand this book for anyone with human emotion.I think when you read this book you will be shocked.It is a beautiful prose.The prose is very lyrical and dream-like as sends the reader in and out of the past.As a book about slavery and life after slavery.The novel is not concerned with what it means to be "African-American" so much as it is concerned with what does it mean to be human and about dream to be freedom.What does it mean to suddenly wake up one morning and be able to decide what you want to do? How do you learn to love when your whole life you've tried not to love too much, since whoever you loved could always be taken away?

2 комментария:

  1. I'm proud of you! I read this book in Russian. I know how heavy the book is. For me it took a long time to understand the sequence of events. I can imagine how difficult it was to you to read it in English! It is a pity that you gave not so much information. In general, it's good! I think you and I will discuss this book next time!

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. I recommand > recommend to smb
    As a book about slavery and life after slavery.> is about
    it is concerned with what does it mean to be human > what it means

    AND AGAIN - NO PLAGIARISM
    http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/6923016



    ОтветитьУдалить